1917 – Girl Scouting comes to Nashville. Five years after the start of the national movement, the first troops in Middle Tennessee were organized.
1927 – The Nashville Girl Scout Council received its charter. Within a year, over 400 girls were registered and the first Brownie Pack was organized.
1935-1939 – Nashville Girl Scouts sold doughnuts as a source of financing! They kept the Holsum Bakery working overtime (day and night, three shifts) to catch up with their sales!
1944 – Josephine Groves Holloway was hired by the Nashville Council as the first African American professional staff member. She served until 1963 and our Camp Holloway honors her legacy.
1958 – Twenty counties in Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky joined forces to become Cumberland Valley Girl Scout Council. More than 8,000 girls registered that first year.
1965 – A successful capital campaign provided the finances to build a council office at 830 Kirkwood Lane in Nashville. It would be our home for the next 25 years!
1973 – Horses arrived at Camp Sycamore Hills! Today, this camp is home to our herd of 42 horses and ponies and our outstanding equestrian program.
1985 – Dr. Rhea Seddon, a former Murfreesboro Girl Scout, became the second American woman to go into space. She took a Cumberland Valley patch with her and later presented it to the council.
1991 – After a $4.5 million capital campaign (the largest for any Girl Scout council at that time), we moved into our new home at 4522 Granny White Pike in Nashville.
2007 – Cumberland Valley Girl Scout Council became Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee in order to better represent our service area.
2017 – Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee celebrates 100 years of scouting! Today, our council serves more than 14,500 girls and 6,500 adults across 39 counties of Middle Tennessee.