It is with a heavy heart that we share Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee’s decision to cancel Summer Camp programming for 2020.
Please know this decision was not made lightly. However, due to the ever-changing landscape of COVID-19 precautions, this decision is a reflection of our strong commitment to the health and safety of our campers, staff, and all families involved.
We are truly devastated to not be able to welcome campers this summer, and we mourn the reality that Camp Holloway and Camp Sycamore Hills will be without songs, s’mores, campfires, and friendships during this trying time. Yet, the safety of our campers and staff has always been and will always be the priority of this council.
At this time, you have several options regarding any deposits and fees you have paid for the summer including a FULL REFUND.
- Consider donating $21 for 2021. We rely heavily on revenues generated by camp programming to sustain our mission of building girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. Choose to donate $21 (or any amount you wish) of your refund today to help ensure Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee can continue to serve girls at camp in the summer of 2021.
- Request a full refund of all monies already paid, including the deposit amount.
We will be processing refunds over the next few weeks. In most cases, your refund will be placed back onto the card you used to pay your camp fees. If this is not possible for any reason, you will receive a check in the mail. All refunds should be received within 45 days.
ACTION NEEDED! After considering these options, please click the link below to indicate how we should process your refund.
We know the summer of 2020 will not be the same without Girl Scout camps operating as we intended. However, we are committed to keeping camp traditions alive throughout this time and look forward to sharing remote opportunities with you in the coming weeks. Even more, we look forward to seeing all of you soon, so until then, this is “goodnight,” but certainly not “goodbye.”
Please contact us if you have any questions or need any further information. We are here to help in any way we can through these difficult circumstances.
Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee make the decision to cancel summer camp?
We want summer camp to be a fun experience, and camper and staff safety is our highest priority. Our decision was guided by recommended precautions and limitations on travel throughout our area. Current social distancing guidelines would require changing our camp programs to the extent we believe would not foster the sense of community we so strive for.
- Why did GSMIDTN cancel the entire summer? Why not cancel week-by-week?
At Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee, we strive to provide the highest-quality summer camp experience. To do so, we require several weeks on-site to train our staff and prepare camp facilities. Pre-camp training includes industry certifications in lifeguarding, outdoor adventure, water safety, and horsemanship as well as leadership skills, safety protocols, emergency procedures, behavior management, and first aid training. We cannot run a safe camp program without this time, and we could not predict when it would be safe for camp staff to return to camp to complete this training.
- Will GSMIDTN be offering virtual camp options?
There are many options available for virtual programming that can be found on the Virtual Girl Scouts page.
In addition, we are developing summer-specific programming (that can be done remotely!) designed to foster community and build connections between girls. We know everyone is overwhelmed by internet-based options at this time, and we are striving to create unique opportunities that make the next few months feel like summer. As soon as we have more information, it will be released here and in the weekly Girl Scout Connection.
- Is GSMIDTN cancelling all programs this summer?
At this time, we are making decisions about programming several weeks at a time. Council-sponsored programs are more flexible in lead time than summer camp. Girls come with their own trained adults and our facilitating staff can be scheduled more easily for these. Please check the event calendar for the most up-to-date information on scheduled programs, or reach out to the program team member who is coordinating your specific program.
- Does this affect volunteer-run Summer Fun Day and Twilight camps?
At this time, all Summer Fun Day/Twilight camps are also cancelled. Please contact your Summer Fun Camp Director for more information about a refund of fees you have paid.
- Will I get a refund for what I paid for summer camp?
- Can I donate camp fees to GSMIDTN?
We rely heavily on revenues generated by camp programming to sustain our mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. If you choose to donate any amount of your camp fees, you help ensure Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee can continue to serve girls into 2021. Please indicate that you would like to donate on our cancellation refund form.
- How will my refund arrive?
You will receive an email when your refund has been processed. Your refund will most likely be issued in the same form of payment in which you paid your fees. If you paid with a credit card, we refund back to that card whenever possible. In the event that we can’t refund back to the card, you will be issued a check which will be mailed to the address on file in CouncilAlignMENT. All refunds will be processed within 45 days.
- What if the card I paid with is cancelled or expired?Our system can check to see if your card is still in service. If we cannot refund to the card you paid with, we will automatically process a check refund to you. Please contact a member of the camp team if you have further questions or concerns.
- What if I do not receive my refund?
- What if my camper earned product programs rewards for summer camp?
You have several options if your camper earned enough Product Program credit to receive a discount on summer camp fees for summer 2020.
- You may choose to receive the alternate prize associated with the level your camper achieved
- You may choose to apply this discount to next year’s summer camp program.
A member of the Product Programs team will reach out shortly with more information and to assist you in this choice.