While this year’s holiday season will look a little different, we can still find ways to connect with the heart of the holidays by giving back. As Girl Scouts, we believe in taking action to create positive change in our community. We hope you join people all over the world to celebrate our collective spirit of generosity this #GivingTuesday. Together, we can give back to make the world a better place!
So what is GivingTuesday? According to GivingTuesday’s official website, “GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world. GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, it has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.”
This year’s GivingTuesday is on Tuesday, December 1, and we can’t wait to see how our troops put a Girl Scout spin on this holiday. How will you give back this year? Try these simple ideas to get started:
- Volunteer. There are still plenty of virtual and socially-distanced ways to give your time. Check out Hands On Nashville’s calendar to see how you can give back to causes that are important to you. Also check out our past blog post, Ways to Virtually Volunteer.
- Organize a food drive. Rally your troop to collect food for those in need and give to your local food bank!
- Give your voice. Sign an online petition or call an elected official to advocate for a cause that matters to you.
- Share an act of kindness. Spread cheer this holiday season with a simple wave or smile to someone you don’t know. Consider posting a positive message of encouragement to your neighbors. Small gestures go a long way in creating a better day and remind us that we are all in this together.
- Give your money. Donate to a nonprofit, like Girl Scouts of Middle Tennessee, that has impacted your life. Another way to help is by spreading the word and hosting a Facebook fundraiser!